Colonel Roy Rockwell is commander of Space DELTA 6 (DEL 6), Space Operations Command, United States Space Force, Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. As commander, he is responsible for five squadrons and eight detachments/operating locations, across 13 geographically-separated locations, comprised of more than 1,000 active duty military, Department of Defense civilian and contractor personnel enabling command and control (C2) operations for 11 Combatant Commands.
DEL 6 provides combat ready forces to operate and maintain the $6.8 billion Satellite Control Network and conduct defensive cyber operations (DCO) for unique space mission networks. Provide global space access to enable spacecraft command and control, space launch, and orbital operations. Conduct passive and active DCO to enable the national space enterprise. Provide cross-cutting capabilities to Space Deltas. Operations are agile, intelligence-led, cyber-resilient, and driven by innovation, while postured to succeed in a Contested, Degraded, and Operationally-Limited environment.
Col Rockwell served 3 years as an enlisted member prior to earning his commission through ROTC upon graduation from East Carolina University in August 1997.
He is a two-time graduated squadron commander, having commanded the 561st Network Operations Squadron and the 386th Expeditionary Communications Squadron. He has completed staff assignments with United States Africa Command, Headquarters Air Force and three Air Force major commands. He has also served in a variety of duty positions within the cyberspace and communications career field to include special assistant to the Air Force Space Command commander for cyberspace senior officer matters, wing director of staff, wing executive officer, network operations and security center chief, squadron director of operations, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile launch control systems programmer and space surveillance training system programmer.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Information Systems, East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.
2003 Master of Science, Information Resource Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Air Force Senior Development Education Fellow, Idaho Falls, Idaho
1. August 1997 – May 1999, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Systems Support Section, Electronic Systems Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
2. July 1999 – July 2001, Chief, Cheyenne Mountain Systems Support Section, Detachment 1, 533rd Training Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
3. July 2001 – March 2003, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. March 2003 – April 2005, Systems Interoperability Officer, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
5. May 2005 – March 2006, Chief, Network Operations and Security Center, HQ AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
6. March 2006 – December 2006, Director of Operations, 35th Communications Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan
7. January 2007 – September 2007, Executive Officer, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
8. October 2007 – June 2008, Director of Staff, 35th FW, Misawa AB, Japan
9. June 2008 – June 2009, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. July 2009 – June 2010, Commander, 386th Expeditionary Communications Squadron, Southwest Asia
11. June 2010 – September 2011, Chief, Colonel Mission Support Assignments, USAF Colonel’s Group, Headquarters Air Force/Diplomatic Post Office
12. September 2011 – February 2013, Special Assistant for Air Force Cyberspace Senior Officer Matters, Air Force Space Command/Capital Visitor Center
13. February 2013 – June 2015, Commander, 561st Network Operations Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. June 2015 – June 2017, Deputy Cyber Security and Strategy Division, Directorate of Command, Control, Communications and Computer Systems, United States Africa Command, Kelley Barracks, Germany
15. July 2017 – May 2018, Air Force Senior Development Education Fellow’s Student, Idaho National Labs, Idaho Falls, Idaho
16. May 2018 – June 2020, Pacific Air Forces Deputy Chief Information Officer and Chief, Command and Control Capabilities & Integration Division, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
17. June 2020 – July 2020, Commander, 50th Network Operations Group, Schriever AFB, Colorado
18. July 2020 – present, Commander, Space Delta 6, Peterson-Schriever Garrison, Colorado
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
2015 Air Force Space Command Lance P. Sijan Senior Officer Leadership Award
2010 Communication and Information Field Grade Officer of the Year, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Force
2009 Army Command and General Staff College, Joint Command, Control, Communications, Computer, Intelligence and Information Operations Award
2007 FGO of the Year, 35th Fighter Wing Staff, 35th FW
2006 Misawa AB and 35th FW Company Grade Officer of the Year
2005 Air Force Reserve Command’s CGO of the Year
2005 Air Force Reserve Command’s Communication and Information CGO of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 2, 1997
First Lieutenant August 7, 1999
Captain August 7, 2001
Major May 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel August 1, 2012
Colonel December 1, 2018
(Current as of July 2020)