Col. Matthew E. Holston is the Commander of Delta 8, headquartered at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. As commander, he is responsible for more than 1,100 military and Department of Defense civilian personnel serving in five squadrons and one detachment. Delta 8 is responsible for performing around-the-clock global satellite operations on more than 70 satellites across diverse orbital regimes, providing warfighters and other users worldwide with position, navigation and timing capabilities; military satellite communication; intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance products and environmental and space situational awareness.
Col. Holston earned his commission in 1999 as a graduate of the University of Illinois ROTC program. He has served in a variety of space operations, engineering, program management and staff duties within Air Force Space Command, the National Reconnaissance Office and the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition.
Prior to his current assignment, he was a student at the Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy. Additionally, he commanded the 45th Launch Support Squadron at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, where he led a government team with more than 70 members to provide launch-base mission assurance for space launch vehicles, Department of Defense satellites and critical launch infrastructure.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois, Champaign, Ill.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
2016 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Program Manager’s Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2018 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1999–December 1999, Student, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training and Defense Satellite Communications System Satellite Vehicle Operator Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. December 1999–August 2003, Satellite Vehicle Operator and Engineer, then DSCS Launch Manager, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
3. September 2003–July 2005, Flight Commander, then Chief, Launch Operations, National Reconnaissance Office Operations Squadron, Colorado Springs, Colo.
4. July 2005–March 2007, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
5. March 2007–December 2009, Chief Payload Systems Engineer, then Chief, Payload Hardware Branch, Reconnaissance Systems Office, NRO, Chantilly, Va.
6. December 2009–August 2011, Executive Officer to the Director, Imagery Intelligence Directorate, NRO, Chantilly, Va.
7. August 2011–July 2012, Student, National Intelligence University, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2012–July 2014, Program Element Monitor for Military Satellite Communications Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C. (October 2013–April 2014, Staff Officer, Key Leader Engagements Branch, Kabul, Afghanistan)
9. July 2014–July 2016, Commander, 45th Launch Support Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
10. July 2016–July 2017, Military Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. August 2017–June 2018, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2018–June 2020, Deputy Director, Space and Special Programs, Battlespace Awareness and Program Assessment Directorate, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2020–July 2020, Commander, 50th Operations Group, Schriever AFB, Colo.
14. July 2020–present, Commander, Delta 8, Schriever AFB, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
AF Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal with bronze star
Non-Article 5 NATO Medal (International Security Assistance Force, Afghanistan)
Master Space Badge
Master Acquisition Badge
Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Systems Planning, Research, Development & Engineering, Level III, APDP
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 19, 1999
First Lieutenant Jan. 19, 2001
Captain Jan. 19, 2003
Major Sept. 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2014
Colonel Feb. 1, 2020
(Current as of July 2020)