Col. Casey M. Beard is the Commander of Delta 9, headquartered at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. Delta 9’s mission is to prepare, present and project assigned and attached forces for the purpose of conducting protect and defend operations and providing national decision authorities with response options to deter, and, when necessary, defeat orbital threats. Additionally, Delta 9 supports Space Domain Awareness by conducting space-based battlespace characterization operations and also conducts on-orbit experimentation and technology demonstrations for the U.S. Space Force.
Col. Beard’s previous assignment was as the Deputy Director of the Space Strategy and Plans Directorate in the Office of the Secretary of Defense for Policy, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
Col. Beard earned his commission through Air Force ROTC in 2001 following graduation from Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina. He has served across multiple operational disciplines including nuclear operations, satellite communications, space situational awareness, space control and operational level command and control. Col. Beard has served as a deputy division chief, branch chief, executive officer, flight commander, evaluator and instructor.
2001 Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Clemson University, S. C.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Top Third Graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Science, Space Studies, American Military University, Charles Town, W.Va., by correspondence
2009 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Distinguished Graduate and Mission Award, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 U.S. Air Force School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 National War College, Distinguished Graduate, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
1. June 2001–February 2002, Student, Officer Space Prerequisite Training; Student, Peacekeeper Initial Qualification Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. February 2002–September 2002, Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander, 400th Missile Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
3. September 2002–June 2003, Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander Instructor, 90th Operational Support Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
4. July 2003–November 2004, Missile Combat Crew Commander; Flight Commander, 400th MS, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
5. November 2004–April 2006, Missile Combat Crew Commander Evaluator; Deputy Chief, Standardization and Evaluation Division, 90th Operations Group, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
6. April 2006–May 2006 Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. May 2006–September 2006, Student, Milstar Initial Qualification Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
8. October 2006–June 2008, Mission Commander; Lead Instructor, 4th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
9. July 2008–June 2009, Executive Officer, Space Innovation and Development Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
10. June 2009–December 2009, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. January 2010–June 2013, Deputy Chief, Space Situational Awareness Branch; Chief, Defensive Operations Branch, 614th Air and Space Operations Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
12. August 2013–June 2014, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. July 2014–June 2015, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2015–July 2017, Commander, 1st SOPS, Schriever AFB, Colo.
15. August 2017–June 2018, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
16. June 2018–June 2020, Deputy Director, Space Strategy and Plans Directorate, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Policy, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
17. June 2020–July 2020, Commander, 750th Operations Group, Schriever AFB, Colo.
18. July 2020–present, Commander, Delta 9, Schriever AFB, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
2002 Distinguished Graduate, Peacekeeper Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Initial Qualification Training
2006 Distinguished Graduate, Milstar Initial Qualification Training
2012 14th Air Force Tiger Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 2001
First Lieutenant May 30, 2003
Captain May 30, 2005
Major June 1, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2015
Colonel March 1, 2019
(Current as of June 2020)