Chief Master Sergeant Charles J. Apodaca is the Senior Enlisted Leader of Space Training and Readiness Delta (Provisional), headquartered at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. He is the advisor to the commander on matters impacting the professional development, proper utilization and readiness of assigned personnel. The command consists of 12 squadrons in five locations nationwide in support of 900 enlisted, officers, civilians and contractors. STAR Delta (P) prepares U.S. Space Force forces to prevail in a contested, degraded and operationally-limited environment through the education and training of space professionals across core and common specialty codes; development of space warfighting doctrine and tactics, techniques and procedures; and the test and evaluation of USSF capabilities.
STAR Delta (P) oversees exercise execution and development across the USSF enterprise. STAR Delta (P) manages space integration into DoD tiered exercises along with proving realistic common operations picture of the space domain to train and exercise space warfighting TTPs for the development of Joint Warfighting capabilities for use by Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, Marines, Allies and Coalition Partners.
Chief Apodaca entered the Air Force in May of 1998. He graduated from the Morse Operator and Signals Intelligence apprentice courses at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona and Corry Field, Pensacola, Florida and performed duties as an intelligence analyst for the National Security Agency. Additionally, he returned to Ft. Huachuca as a technical instructor before cross-training into the communications field in 2004. He is well-versed on Network Control Center operations as well as enterprise operations and solutions. As a Cyber Transport professional, he served in many capacities such as a Network Training Instructor, a Small Computers technician and a Technical Control Facility Section Chief as well as an Infrastructure Branch Chief with oversight of secure and unsecure networks, phone services, Voice over Internet Protocol services, wireless morale networks and long-haul communications. He also served as a System Control Officer for the Defense Information Systems Agency, where he actively monitored communications for the entire Middle East Area of Responsibility and served as a liaison between DISA Continental United States, Central Command, Africa Command and Europe. In 2014, Apodaca was selected to serve in the Commander’s Action Group for Air Force Space Command. He has served in assignments at Ft. Meade, Maryland, Ft. Huachuca, Arizona, Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico, Naval Air Station, Bahrain and Peterson AFB, Colorado and has deployed in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Inherent Resolve, ORYX SHIELD and FREEDOM SENTINEL.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Chief Enlisted Manager of the 21st Communications Squadron at Peterson AFB where he served more than 477 personnel in what is noted as the largest Communications Squadron in the Air Force. Additionally, he assisted the Commander in leading and mentoring their team of cyberspace professionals in the delivery of services to 11,000 users, supporting Peterson AFB, HQ North American Aerospace Defense Command, United States Northern Command, United States Space Command and the 21st Space Wing at 27 worldwide locations.
2002 Airman Leadership School, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2007 Associate Degree, Communications Applications, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2007 Associate Degree, Electronic Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex
2010 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2013 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Alexandria, Va.
2015 United States Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer’s Academy, Petaluma Training Center, Calif.
2017 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, Alexandria, Va.
1. July 1998–January 1999, Student, Technical Training School, Ft. Huachuca, Ariz.
2. January 1999–June 1999, Student, Technical Training School, Corry Field, Pensacola, Fla.
3. June 1999–January 2000, Intelligence Analyst, 29th and 32nd Intelligence Squadrons, Ft. Meade, Md.
4. January 2000–April 2002, Staff Officer, National Security Agency, Ft. Meade, Md.
5. April 2002–March 2004, Technical School Instructor, 314th Training Squadron, Ft. Huachuca, Ariz.
6. March 2004–October 2004, Student, Technical Training School, Keesler AFB, Miss.
7. October 2004–January 2005, Network Training Instructor, 49th Communications Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
8. January 2005–October 2008, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Network Management, 49th CS, Holloman AFB, N.M.
9. October 2008–October 2009, Systems Control Officer, Defense Information Systems Agency, Manama, Naval Air Station, Bahrain
10. October 2009–August 2012, Section Chief, Technical Control Facility, 21st CS, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. August 2012–July 2014, Branch Chief, Infrastructure, 21st CS, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. July 2014–July 2015, Executive Actions, Commander’s Action Group, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. July 2015–July 2017, Assistant First Sergeant, Air Force Space Command/NASA, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. July 2017–November 2019, Senior Enlisted Leader, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Det. 4, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. Dec 2019–February 2021, Superintendent, 21st CS, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. February 2021–present, Senior Enlisted Leader, Space Training and Readiness Delta (Provisional), Peterson AFB, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
1998 Samuel F.B. Morse Award, Technical School, Ft. Huachuca, Ariz.
1999 Honor Graduate, Technical School, Corry Field, Pensacola, Fla.
2000 Executive Citation, State of Maryland, Baltimore, Md.
2004 Citizenship Award, Technical School, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2004 Air Education and Training Command, Commander Top Graduate, Technical School, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2011 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 21st Communications Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2013 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2014 Lance P. Sijan Award, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2015 Air Force Sergeant’s Assoc. Community Service Team Award (Chapter President), Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Lance P. Sijan Award, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Air Force Assoc. Extra Large Chapter Aerospace Education Excellence Award (Chapter President), Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Base Junior Enlisted Association Mentor of the Year, Peterson AFB, Colo.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic, May 20, 1998
Airman First Class, July 4, 1998
Senior Airman, Nov. 4, 2000
Staff Sergeant, July 1, 2002
Technical Sergeant, May 1, 2007
Master Sergeant, June 1, 2011
Senior Master Sergeant, July 1, 2016
Chief Master Sergeant, Aug. 1, 2019
(Current as of March 2021)