The 50th Mission Support Group is a component of Peterson-Schriever Garrison, Colorado, located on Schriever Space Force Base.
The group's mission is to provide security, civil engineering, fire protection, environmental management, manpower, personnel, logistics, contracting, base services and housing support for Schriever SFB. The group is comprised of over 800 personnel who manage an annual budget of $25 million, administer $500 million in contracts, and oversee 3,840 acres and 80 facilities valued at $1.2 billion. Additionally the group plans, develops and coordinates base growth, mutual aid and encroachment with higher headquarters, city, county, state and federal officials as well as organizes, trains and equips over 1,600 Airmen for worldwide deployments in support of combatant commander requirements.
The group is comprised of six squadrons and one flight: 50th Civil Engineer Squadron, 50th Contracting Squadron, 50th Force Support Squadron, 50th Security Forces Squadron, 50th Communications Squadron and 50th Logistics Readiness Flight.
The group was activated May 16, 1949 as the 50th Air Base Group, a Reserve unit at Otis AFB, Massachusetts. The group supported the air defense operations of the 50th Fighter-Interceptor Wing, a predecessor of the 50th Space Wing. The group was inactivated June 2, 1951.
The 50th ABG returned to active duty Jan. 1, 1953 at Clovis (later Cannon) AFB, New Mexico, as part of the 50th FW. When the wing departed for Hahn Air Base, West Germany, later that year, the 50th ABG accompanied them. This marked the first mass movement of an entire tactical wing from the U.S. to Continental Europe.
In July 1956, the group and wing relocated to Toul-Rosieres AB, France, where they stayed until September 1959. At which time, the 50th FW returned to Hahn AB, this would remain the home of both the group and the wing for the next 32 years. As part of an Air Force-wide change, the group became the 50th Combat Support Group in 1962, a name it would retain for the rest of its tenure at Hahn AB.
When the Cold War ended, Hahn AB closed. The 50th TFW, along with the 50th CSG were inactivated on Sept. 30, 1991. While at Hahn, the group earned five Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards for deterring communist aggression in Europe.
In 1992, the 50th TFW was reactivated at Falcon AFB, Colorado, as the 50th SW to preserve the distinguished unit's history. The former 50th CSG was also activated as the 50th Support Group on Jan. 30, 1992. Since 1992, the 50th SG, renamed the 50th MSG in October 2002, has served as the focal point for security, civil engineering, contracting, logistics and base services, at Schriever SFB.
(Current as of July 2020)