50th Space Wing, JA, Legal Assistance, Schriever, AFB, Judge, Advocates, Help, Tenant Law, Office of, Staff Judge Advocate,
An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

HomeServicesSchriever's Legal Office

Peterson-Schriever Garrison Legal Office



To deliver professional, candid, independent counsel and full-spectrum legal capabilities to command and the warfighter.

The Peterson-Schriever Garrison Legal Office has adjusted its legal services due to COVID-19:
  • Wills, notaries, and powers of attorney are by appointment only 
  • All non-will legal assistance will be handled by phone/email unless it is not feasible to provide advice through these media
  • Please note that our current legal assistance posture is subject to change based on P-S GAR’s current public health guidance. Please contact our front desk or org box at P_SGAR.ja@us.af.mil, to get the most recent COVID-19 policies.
Legal Assistance Services


  • Basic will – explains what you would like to happen to your body and property in the event of your death, and designates an executor (also known as a personal representative) to carry out your wishes.  If you are a parent with minor or dependent children, it allows you to designate a guardian for your children.
  • Living will – explains your desires regarding life-sustaining medical treatment if you are terminally ill, in a persistent vegetative state, or near death; also known as an advanced healthcare directive.
Powers of Attorney

Power of Attorney – allows another person to act on your behalf and handle your business, legal, medical, or personal affairs.  If you are unable to act for yourself due to an assignment or a TDY, consider using a power of attorney.

  • General – gives another person broad authority to act on your behalf and handle your affairs.
  • Special – a limited power of attorney that allows another person to act on your behalf or handle your affairs only in a specific instance or for a specific purpose (e.g. selling your car or home, paying your taxes, shipping your household goods, obtaining medical care for your children, or making medical decisions for your pet).
  • Medical – allows another person to make medical decisions for you if you are unable to make them yourself, usually as a result of a medical condition (e.g. a coma).
To get started with creating your will or power of attorney:
  1. Go to https://aflegalassistance.law.af.mil/lass/lass.html (opens in new window)
  2. Click on “Legal Worksheets”
  3. Click on “Create Will and Advance Medical Directive Worksheet” and/or “Create Power of Attorney (POA) Worksheet”
  4. Follow the instructions on the website
  5. After you complete your will worksheet you will be provided a ticket number for that document; retain the ticket numbers for each document as you will need to provide them when you make your appointment
  6. Call 719-556-4871 (Peterson) or 719-567-5050 (Schriever) to schedule an appointment with an attorney
  7. You will meet with your assigned attorney at the legal office to finalize and execute the will and/or power of attorney


  • If you are married, separate worksheets should be completed for you and your spouse.
  • Individuals obtaining a will should allow a minimum of one hour and couples should allow a minimum of one and a half hours (1.5).
  • General and special powers of attorney can be completed at the legal office front desk; medical powers of attorney require meeting with an attorney and can be completed during a will appointment.
Legal Assistance
  • In addition to the above, our offices are available to assist military families and retirees with legal issues regarding: SCRA (Servicemember Civil Relief Act) and USERRA (Uniformed Service Employment and Reemployment Rights Act); family law (separations, divorce, child custody, adoptions), consumer law, probate law, immigration/naturalization law, landlord-tenant law, taxation and crime victim assistance. (Not an exhaustive list)
  • Members should first visit https://www.courts.state.co.us/Self_Help/Index.cfm (opens in new window) for information, instructions and self-help forms, before contacting the legal office to consult with an attorney.  Members can also visit the El Paso County Bar Association webpage to check availability for free or low-cost legal assistance at https://www.elpasocountybar.org/public-resourc (opens in new window).

The links provided are for informational purposes only.  Federal endorsement is not intended or implied. The USAF does not verify the validity of the content of these websites.


  • Our office does not represent members in court proceedings for any legal matters. 
  • Our office does not assist with criminal matters or represent airmen who are facing adverse administrative actions (e.g. LOC/A/Rs, Article 15s, Discharges). For assistance with these types of matters, contact the Area Defense Counsel (ADC) at DSN 834-7611 or Comm 719-556-7611.