SCHRIEVER AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. --
Every time Airmen, retirees and military families shop at the Army and Air Force Exchange at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado, they help make their community stronger.
In 2018, Schriever AFB shoppers generated $134,561.04 for vital on-installation community programs, supporting quality-of-life, including outdoor recreation, Child Development Center, School Age Care and the fitness center.
One hundred percent of Exchange earnings are invested in the military community, with 60 percent going to dividends supporting quality-of-life programs and the remaining 40 percent used to improve the experience in stores and online.
During the last 10 years, Exchange shoppers have contributed $2.5 billion to support these programs, strengthening the services’ recruiting, retention and readiness efforts.
“Support of critical quality-of-life programs is a tangible return on the benefit Schriever Airmen and their families have earned,” said Exchange general manager Lawrence Simmons Jr. “The Exchange goes where they go to deliver convenience and savings and invest in each community we are honored to serve.”
The Schriever AFB Exchange dividend is a part of the $223 million the Army and Air Force Exchange Service generated in 2018 worldwide.
Mike Casserly office assistant with the Colorado Springs Exchange General Manager's Office, said Airmen who purchase food from the Shoppette and AAFES food trucks help give back to their community.
“The 50th Force Support Squadron decides where the money goes once it’s given back,” he added.
Janet Cramer, 50th FSS resource management flight chief, non-appropriated funds resource manager and funds custodian, said the non-appropriated funds receives monthly dividends which help support Schriever morale, welfare and recreation programs such as 50th FSS events like the annual base picnic, the Children’s Holiday event, First Friday events and the Spring Fling.
“All of the events are free of charge and have great food and entertainment,” she added. “Our MWR program also provides funding for refreshments at changes of command and commanders’ calls, gift certificates for quarterly and annual wing award winners and provides the cost of the meal for the annual award winners at the annual banquet.”
Casserly said between 2017 and 2018, there was a more than $13,000 increase in funds.
Additionally in 2018, a $223 million dividend was generated in part by veterans, who were welcomed home with a lifelong online military exchange shopping benefit introduced on Veterans Day 2017.
Casserly and Cramer encourage Airmen to shop locally.
“The money goes toward the quality of life of Airmen, “Casserly said. “The more you shop in the community, the better quality of life Airmen receive.”
Veterans can visit ShopMyExchange.com/vets to sign up for their online benefit.
For more information about the AAFES, contact Casserly at 576-6174.