CJCS Milley's Message to the Joint Force
By From the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Public Affairs, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Public Affairs
/ Published October 01, 2019
MESSAGE TO THE JOINT FORCE
I am humbled to represent you as the 20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Our Nation has the most professional and capable military force in world history because of you—our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Coast Guardsmen, and Civil Servants. Thank you for who you are and what you do, and thanks also to your families—none of us could do what we do without their support. Every day you answer our Nation's call and you deliver regardless of the sacrifice.
Today, we face a complex and volatile global security environment with a wide range of challenges. We will meet those challenges and we stand ready to keep the peace and, if necessary, win the war on the land, at sea, in the air, in space and cyber space.
To ensure we maintain a flexible, versatile, and adaptable force today and tomorrow, I will focus on five key areas as I begin my time as Chairman:
- Sustain our values. American values have made us strong for two and a half centuries, and we will never waiver in our commitment to the U.S. Constitution.
- Improve joint warfighting readiness. We must be ready 24-7—that is our contract with the American people. We will also continue to work closely with our Allies and partners to improve our collective security and protect our common interests.
- Develop the Joint Force of the future. We will modernize our military through innovative concept development, advanced technology, and new capabilities.
- Develop and empower Joint Force leaders. The future operating environment will place new demands on leaders at all levels. Our leaders must have the training, education, and experience to meet those demands.
- Take care of our people and families. They are our most precious asset. We must always keep faith with them.
It is the honor of a lifetime to continue to serve alongside of you to ensure this experiment in liberty is passed to the next generation.
MARK A. MILLEY
General, U.S. Army
20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
For more Joint Staff news, visit: www.jcs.mil.
Connect with the Joint Staff on social media:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube,
LinkedIn and Flickr.