Chief's Corner - week of Oct. 8
By Senior Master Sgt. Rodney Deese, 50th Network Operations Group
/ Published October 07, 2014
SCHRIEVER AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- Supervision is a tremendous undertaking that involves leading, coaching, mentoring and training. Supervision can be defined as a developmental process designed to support and enhance an individual's acquisition of the motivation, autonomy, self-awareness and skills necessary to effectively accomplish the mission, which is the preeminent goal of every organization. Within the 50th Space Wing, the mission centers on commanding satellites to deliver decisive global effects and is enhanced when Airmen have outstanding supervisors who promote an atmosphere conducive to fostering growth. Here are 10 simple recommendations that have worked well for me during my career and I trust they will be value added to you.
1. Be personally involved with your Airmen's training; this task should only be delegated when absolutely necessary.
2. Set standards high, and more importantly, communicate and hold your Airmen to those standards with confidence. Your Airmen will rise to the level of your expectations.
3. Hold your Airmen accountable, you are actually protecting them.
4. Plan activities away from your work center for you and your Airmen to participate in, and by making this investment, you will gain their loyalty and respect.
5. Get and stay involved with your Airmen. When your Airmen know you genuinely care for them, they will do everything in their power to meet your expectations.
6. Address discipline issues at your level quickly and issues won't fester and snowball in an out of control manner.
7. Dare to believe you can achieve perfection and go after it with a vengeance. People love to take part in something special and when they see the results, you have them hooked.
8. When you ask, "How are you doing?" wait for the answer.
9. Let your Airmen see you publicly give the credit and take the blame. When this happens, they will go to new heights and depths to not disappoint you, which translates into greater mission accomplishment.
10. Work and play hard (responsibly) as a team and you will create an unbreakable bond.